Purpose of Advisory
The purpose of this note is to make customers aware of Trojans/Malware activity and to implement safeguards in order to protect themselves.
A PDF version of BPFI’s Trojans/Malware Trojans/Malware Security Advisory is available to download here.
For business/corporate banking:
- There has been heightened activity from new Trojans / Malware variants attacking primarily business banking customers across Europe.
- Malware is delivered via an email attachment or a link to infected web site.
- Malware can also be disguised as a pdf, a word file or even a Powerpoint file.
- Once the attachment is opened, the machine is infected with keyloggers and remote access Trojans.
Ways customers can protect themselves:
- Keep your PC’s patching up to date.
- Run a recognised anti – Virus (AV) and anti – malware programme and ensure it is up to date and actively scanning.
- We advise to carry out your own virus check before opening any attachment.
- We recommend switching on heuristic scanning option if available.
- Change passwords regularly.
- On online business banking review your beneficiary lists and account numbers regularly.
- Ensure that transaction limits are set at a value threshold equal to or just above your regular payment amount.
Always remember: Your bank will never send you an e-mail requesting your bank security details.
This is a general notice issued by the Financial Crime and Security Department of the BPFI on Behalf of BPFI members.
Disclaimer Note: The information contained in this advisory is for general guidance and for information purposes only and is intended to enhance awareness and vigilance regarding this